Favorite Music for 2009

Here's some of my Last.fm statistics for the last year.

Top Artist
  1. Yasunori Mitsuda (1,773 plays)
  2. Motoi Sakuraba (1,190 plays
  3. Akira Yamaoka (1,165 plays)
  4. Yoko Kanno (1,071 plays)
  5. Green Day (950 plays)
  6. The Beatles (872 plays)
  7. Bruno Coulais (867 plays)
  8. Delerium (645 plays)
  9. Chris Hülsbeck (616 plays)
  10. Yuzo Koshiro (568 plays)

I started listening to Green Day again this year (I listened to them when I was in high school for a bit) and really really like American Idiot. The Beatles was largely inspired by The Beatles: Rock Band coming out this year and me wanting to learn lyrics and there's a bunch of other Beatles songs I like as well (obviously). Bruno Coulais did the soundtrack for the animated film Coraline which came out earlier this year. Easily one of the best films I saw all year and the music is part of what made it so great. Everyone else on the list is pretty much my regulars. I've been listening more to Mitsuda's stuff lately and maybe one day he'll catch up to Sakuraba on my list who got a huge number of plays a few years ago when I was on vacation and listened to nothing but Trusty Bell and Forest of Glass for two weeks.

Top Tracks
  1. Bruno Coulais – Exploration (66 plays)
  2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – All Along the Watchtower (51 plays)
  3. The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Swallowtail Live (47 plays)
  4. Green Day – Know Your Enemy (37 plays)
  5. The Beatles – Ticket to Ride (36 plays)
  6. Bruno Coulais – Dreaming (35 plays)
  7. Bruno Coulais – Mechanical Lullaby (35 plays)
  8. Shaimus – Left to Dry (35 plays)
  9. Bang Camaro – She's Gone (Critical) (34 plays)
  10. Hiroko Kokubu – Eternity ~Memories of Light and Waves~ (33 plays)

I forget what exactly it was that triggered it, but I went a few weeks listening to a lot of Jimi Hendrix and at the top of that was his cover of All Along the Watchtower. Brian Jonestown Massacre is a new band I started listening to after watching a documentary about them called Dig!. A truly amazing band that I even got my step-dad hooked on. Shaimus is a band I picked up from Rock Band and the first track of their new album was amazing, sadly I didn't care for most of the rest of the album. I'm honestly surprised that the arrangement of Eternity by Hiroko Kokubu isn't higher on my list. While Final Fantasy X-2 might have had some issues as a game, I think the game had good music and the piano album has some beautiful songs.

1 comment:

hatsumi said...

I'm tempted to look at mine now...

Artists are all J-Pop, J-Rock, or video game music.

Tracks are all Japanese except "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback and "Fireflies" by Owl City.

Yeah, that looks about right. ^_^

I started listening to one song by the Stylistics ("Heavy Fallin' Out") a couple days ago. I wonder how long it will take that song to move up on my list...